Unlike albums which are consistent listen after listen, live shows are consistently changing and nothing is ever the same twice. These were the best shows I saw all year based on my personal experiences. For some these shows may have been better or worse, but these were the ones that stuck out for me.
1. Radiohead - Night One of All Points West - August - New York City
My best friends and I indulged ourselves as we watched my favorite band with the Statue of Liberty and the New York City skyline glowing behind us. Less than two hours later I said goodbye to my teenage years.
2. Bon Iver - St. Giles In the Fields Church - June - London
During the last week of my semester in England, in an ancient church, at sunset.
3. My Bloody Valentine - Roseland Ballroom - September - New York City
First non-festival U.S. performance in about 16 years.
4. m83 - Webster Hall - November - New York City
Sonic layers at their best.
5. Grizzly Bear - Night One of All Points West - August - New York City
Perfect blend of old goodies and new ones to come.
6. TV on the Radio - Brooklyn Masonic Temple - October - New York City
Killer horns with electric funk and their last hometown show of the year.
7. Battles - London Astoria - May - London
One of the tightest shows, rhythmically, I have ever seen.
8. Fleet Foxes - Webster Hall - October - New York City
White Winter Hymnal into Ragged Wood with Mykonos snuck in at the end.
9. Broken Social Scene - Siren Festival - July - New York City
Before the show I said if they play "7/4 (Shoreline)" it'll make my day. It did.
10. Vampire Weekend - London Astoria - January - London
Two weeks before their debut LP dropped.